Domestic Violence Defense Attorney in Sarasota
Wyndel G. Darville Can Protect Your Rights
If a police officer is dispatched to a household, the odds are that it was for a domestic dispute involving violence. As one of the most common forms of criminal disputes, domestic violence charges often only require some evidence of injury on the alleged victim and an eyewitness to be taken to court. In many cases, however, people who have been charged with domestic violence were accused under false pretenses or incomplete conclusions based on assumptions.
If you are facing domestic violence charges in Sarasota, Florida, you need an experienced criminal defense attorney in your corner. Domestic violence may not be eligible for expungement if a person pleads guilty. The Law Office of Wyndel G. Darville, PLLC can explain your options, help you protect your rights, and piece together the truth of the dispute.
Call (941) 564-5319 now before it is too late to build your case.
Forms of Domestic Violence
When you think of violence, you will probably picture violent offenses and direct harm to someone. While this is the normal circumstance of a domestic violence charge, it is certainly not the only one. Some forms of domestic violence, as defined by Florida Statutes §741.28, include:
- Assault and battery: Inflicting injury upon another with obvious intent to harm is considered assault of varying degrees. Threatening another with physical injury, even with a simple gesture, can be considered battery.
- Sexual assault: Rape and assaulting a household member in a sexual manner can also be considered domestic violence.
- Stalking: Following another person, even into private areas, to the extent that it causes them anguish is considered stalking and may be a form of domestic violence.
- Kidnapping: If you hold a member of your family against his or her will, even if no physical harm is done at all, you will likely be charged with domestic violence for kidnapping.
Domestic Violence Penalties in Florida
The penalties for domestic violence charges in Sarasota can vary significantly based on the circumstances of each individual case. If the injured party is underage or an elderly individual, for example, an increase in punishment. While fines and jail time are the most obvious forms of penalty for domestic violence charges, a few others may be instituted, such as:
- Restraining orders: Typically used when someone injures his or her spouse, restraining orders will limit where you can go and at what time you can go there. Violating a restraining order – even unintentionally – could result in further fines.
- Child custody loss: You may lose the right to raise or visit your children if you are convicted of domestic abuse, even if the harm was not inflicted to any child. You will need an experienced criminal defense lawyer to help you prove that you are not a danger to your children.
- Punitive damages: Beyond fines for being charged with domestic violence, the accuser may seek financial compensation for any injury or trauma afflicted. It is often for this reason that people may knowingly and falsely accuse someone of domestic violence.
Who can help me with my domestic violence charges?
No matter the circumstances of your domestic violence case, you need to take immediate action. Do not rely on a state criminal defense attorney to protect you. You need someone who has compassion and experience. My firm at The Law Office of Wyndel G. Darville, PLLC can give you personalized, unbiased legal counsel to help you come to a favorable outcome or settlement, all while taking stress and responsibilities off your shoulder.
Free 30-minute case evaluations are available. Contact a Sarasota domestic violence lawyer today.
Aggravated Battery Dismissed
Client was charged with Aggravated Battery (a 2nd-degree felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison) that occurred at a public park. He was accused of striking an individual and breaking his jaw. Police were called...
Carrying a Concealed Firearm Charge Dropped
Client was confronted by law enforcement regarding an outstanding warrant on an unrelated charge. She was in possession of a backpack with a purse on the inside. Search incident to arrest...
Criminal Use of Personal Identification Information Full Acquittal
Client was accused of using personal identification information of third person for purposes of harassment. The Client was put on trial and the State introduced evidence of the alleged offense...
Domestic Battery Dismissed
Client was accused of battering her boyfriend during a custody exchange. During the investigation...
Domestic Battery Case Dismissed
Client was charged for a physical altercation with his wife. Upon further investigation by the defense time, we were able to show the prosecution, that it the client was acting in self-defense...
DUI Property Damage Case Dismissed
Single car accident that took place on an exit ramp from a major interstate. Client was headed home from a social gathering in a steady rain lost control and hit a tree. Deputies arrived...
Felony Driving Under the Influence - 3rd DUI Incarceration Avoided
Client was stopped in the middle of an off ramp from a major highway. Sheriff’s deputies made contact and through their investigation were able to establish probable cause for...
Misdemeanor DUI Charge Reduced
Client was coming home from an evening with friends. He was pulled over by a member of the DUI Wolfpack for alleged speeding. Upon activation of the overhead emergency lights, the Client...
Stolen Property, Providing False Information, and Misdemeanor Violation of Probation Charges Dropped
Client was charged with Dealing in Stolen Property for allegedly stealing and selling his girlfriend’s laptop computer. While investigators successfully obtained the necessary documentary...